Social Emotional Learning
- At the Weston School Committee meeting on June 18th, 2018, Assistant Superintendent of District Advancement, Pamela Bator, gave a presentation on the district's SEL initiatives:
- MA DESE: Updated resources regarding Social-Emotional Learning
- CASEL - the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning
- SEL4MA - the Social-Emotional Learning Alliance for Massachusetts
- EASEL Lab at the Harvard Graduate School of Education - Ecological Approaches to Social Emotional Learning (EASEL) Laboratory
- EdWeek Learning is Social and Emotional Blog
- Challenge Success
- 11 Way Schools Can - and Should - Involve Families in SEL Programming
- For more information regarding SEL, also see the PAC's web page on SEL.
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning
The Weston PTO and the Weston PAC welcomed Rachel Poliner on April 9, 2018. Her talk was entitled, "Social and Emotional Learning: In School, the Community and the World.
Rachel Poliner is an educational consultant specializing in whole student approaches and change management. Her work has focused on school climate, instructional, and structural reforms: K-12 social and emotional learning, middle and high school advisory programs, high school redesign, and improving faculty climate. Since 2012, Ms. Poliner has helped build the Social and Emotional Learning Alliance for Massachusetts. Her most recent book is “Teaching the Whole Teen: Everyday Practices That Promote Success and Resilience in School and Life.”
- The Future of Children - Social and Emotional Learning: A Policy Vision for the Future
- The Evidence Base for How We Learn: Supporting Students Social, Emotional, and Academic Development
- Challenge Success
- Edutopia - Social and Emotional Learning
- Navigating Social and Emotional Learning from the Inside Out - Looking Inside and Across 25 Leading SEL Programs: A Practical Resource for Schools and OST Providers (Elementary School Focus)